This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
This healthier sweet potato casserole with marshmallows is made with golden raisins, crushed pineapple and spices topped with pecans and mini marshmallows.
Best Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
A healthy and lighter classic sweet potato casserole sweetened naturally with pineapple and golden raisins. To be honest with you, I’ve never understood the whole marshmallow thing but after making this recipe, I totally get it! It’s the perfect mix of sweet and savory and the colors are just beautiful making this a wonderful addition to your Thanksgiving table. Also great for Christmas or Easter! Some of my favorite Thanksgiving side dishes are Cranberry Pear Sauce, Green Bean Casserole and Brussels Sprouts Gratin.
Why This Works
- Healthy: Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of vitamin A (from beta-carotene), vitamin C, manganese, and several other vitamins and minerals, including potassium and B vitamins.
- High in Antioxidants: Sweet potatoes have a high antioxidant content, particularly from beta-carotene
- Lighter and less sugar: Uses crushed pineapples and golden raisins for added sweetness.
- Dairy-free: There’s no milk or butter in this recipe.
- Gluten-free: There’s no flour
- Egg-free: No eggs added!
(see full recipe and measurements below)
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes: sweet potatoes, about 5 medium
- Natural sweeteners: golden raisins and unsweetened crushed pineapple
- Added Sweeter: 1 teaspoon agave, honey, maple syrup or brown sugar
- Spices: cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice
- Sweet Potato Casserole Topping: Chopped pecans and mini marshmallows
How To Make Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows
- Peel and chop sweet potatoes into large chunks.
- Boil in a pot with water until fork-tender.
- Drain potatoes; return them to the pot.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mash potatoes with a potato masher or hand mixer; add in raisins, agave, spices, and pineapple.
- Spray a round baking dish (pie, casserole, or ramekins) with oil.
- Fill the dish with the sweet potato mixture.
- Top with pecans and marshmallows.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Butter: There’s no butter needed for this recipe, but if you want to add some, stir in 1 tablespoon unsalted butter.
- Pecan crumble: If you want to omit the marshmallows, create a pecan topping with more chopped pecans and some brown sugar.
- Vanilla: Add some vanilla extract for more flavor or try this Vanilla Sweet Potato Casserole with Streusel Topping.
boil sweet potatoes mash sweet potatoes add raisins, spices and pineapple
More Sweet Potato Recipes You Will Love
Prep: 10 minutes mins
Cook: 30 minutes mins
Total: 40 minutes mins
Yield: 10 servings
Serving Size: 1 /10th
Cut sweet potatoes into large chunks; boil potatoes in a large pot covered with water until potatoes are soft if pierced with a fork. Drain and return to the pot.
Preheat the oven to 400F.
Mash the sweet potatoes and add in raisins, agave, spices and pineapple.
Lightly spray a pie dish, casserole dish or even individual ramekins with oil, spoon in sweet potatoes.
Sprinkle with pecans and marshmallows.
Bake for 15 minutes.
Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Serving: 1 /10th, Calories: 132.5 kcal, Carbohydrates: 29.5 g, Protein: 1.5 g, Fat: 2 g, Sodium: 15.5 mg, Fiber: 2.5 g, Sugar: 10.5 g