This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Coconut milk, curry and Indian spices compliment the flavor of the butternut squash in this savory Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup. One of my favorite ways to enjoy butternut squash.
Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup
This Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup takes less than 25 minutes to make and it’s so good! If you love curry and Indian spices, you will love this soup recipe! It’s delicious, comforting, and healthy, and has been a fan favorite here for over 10 years (just read the reviews!) If you’re looking for something a little different, I have lots of butternut squash soup recipes like this Slow Cooker Butternut Pear Soup, Lentil Soup with Butternut and Kale, and Butternut Squash Soup with Sage
Why This Recipe Works
- Healthy: This butternut squash soup is high in fiber and only 108 calories per serving. Perfect as a starter or double the portion and enjoy it with some crusty naan.
- Easy: If you buy pre-chopped butternut squash or frozen, the only other prep is mincing onion and garlic. This recipe has just a few steps and is ready quickly.
- Satisfies Dietary Restrictions: This soup is perfect for low-fat, vegetarian, vegan, dairy-free, or gluten-free diets.
- Freezer Friendly: You can make a double batch and freeze the rest!
Butternut Squash Soup Ingredients
- Spices: Roasted cumin, garam masala, madras curry powder
- Onion and Garlic: Mince half of a medium onion and two garlic cloves.
- Butternut Squash: Peel the vegetable and chop two cups of squash. For an easier way to cut it, follow these tips.
- Coconut Milk: You’ll need one cup of light canned coconut milk.
- Broth: Use chicken broth or vegetable broth to keep this coconut curry soup vegetarian.
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cilantro is optional, but I highly recommend it!
How to Make Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup
- Onion and Garlic: Heat oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven and sauté the onion and garlic over medium heat.
- Spices: Season the onion and garlic with all three spices and cook for a minute.
- Simmer: Pour in the broth, coconut milk, and butternut squash and cook covered for 12 to 15 minutes until the squash is soft.
- Blend: Remove the lid and puree the soup until smooth with an immersion blender.
- Serve: Season the butternut squash soup with salt and pepper and serve with fresh cilantro.
- Time Saver: Use a bag of cut and peeled butternut squash or frozen butternut squash to reduce the prep time.
- Butternut Substitution: This coconut curry soup would also taste great with pumpkin or acorn squash.
- Consistency: This soup is light, so if you like a thicker soup, use more squash or less broth.
- Cumin: If you don’t have roasted cumin, use regular.
- No immersion blender? If you don’t have one, transfer the soup in batches into a regular blender. Remove the plastic cap and cover the opening with a towel to let steam escape while blending.
- Slow Cooker: To make this coconut curry soup recipe in the slow cooker, follow the first three steps. Transfer the seasoned onions and garlic to the slow cooker, add the remaining ingredients, and cook on low for eight hours or high for four hours. When ready, continue with step five.
What to Serve with this Butternut Squash Soup
How to Store Coconut Curry Soup
This coconut curry butternut squash soup makes excellent leftovers since it’ll keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. It also freezes well for up to three months. Thaw it in the fridge and microwave or heat on the stove until warm.
“I am so glad this recipe is still here. I scour the internet almost every fall looking for this recipe as I have made it every year for almost ten years. It’s delicious, comforting, and healthy. It’s incredible!”
-a 5 star review
Prep: 5 minutes mins
Cook: 20 minutes mins
Total: 25 minutes mins
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 1 generous cup
Add oil to a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
When oil is hot add onion and garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the roasted cumin, garam masala and madras curry powder and mix well cooking another minute.
Add the broth, light coconut milk, butternut squash and bring to a boil, cover and cook low heat until the squash is soft, 12-15 minutes.
Remove cover and using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth (or do this in batches in a regular blender).
Season with salt and fresh pepper, to taste and serve with fresh cilantro.
Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
This soup is light, so if you like a thicker soup, use more squash or less broth.
Serving: 1 generous cup, Calories: 108 kcal, Carbohydrates: 14.5 g, Protein: 2 g, Fat: 5 g, Saturated Fat: 0.2 g, Cholesterol: 3.8 mg, Sodium: 726 mg, Fiber: 3.5 g, Sugar: 0.2 g