Simple meets satisfying in this easy crockpot chicken meal!
Crock pot chicken and rice is a full meal with tender chicken, vibrant veggies, and seasoned rice.
Both hearty and healthy, it’s a family favorite.
An Easy Crock Pot Chicken Meal
- This quick and easy crockpot chicken and rice recipe is a perfect weeknight dinner.
- With just a few simple steps, it’s both healthy and hearty.
- This dish is a nutritional powerhouse, combining lean chicken, wholesome brown rice, and vibrant veggies for a balanced dinner.
- The Crockpot does the work making this a no-fuss favorite.
- Leftovers make satisfying lunches or dinners
- This recipe works great for using up leftover veggies, too! Serve with a simple tossed salad and some homemade dinner rolls.
Ingredients for Crockpot Chicken & Rice
Chicken – Chicken: Choose boneless, skinless chicken breasts or switch to chicken thighs (about two thighs per person).
Vegetables – Onions, carrots, and peas are our favorites and a little bit of roasted red peppers add extra color and flavor. Feel free to mix it up with broccoli, sliced mushrooms, beans, or your frozen green beans or a frozen veggie medley.
Rice – I recommend instant brown rice for a quick cooking option that won’t get mushy. If you use instant white rice, reduce the cooking time slightly.
Sauce – Skip the cans of cream of chicken soup! This sauce is made with fresh ingredients like chicken broth, milk, and cheese for a homemade flavor and creamy texture.
How to Make Crockpot Chicken & Rice
- Add the vegetables (except the peas), broth, Italian seasoning, and chicken to the Crockpot.
- Stir in the peas and instant rice and cook until the rice is fluffy.
- Add sliced chicken, milk, and cheese and cook until the cheese is melted, as per the recipe below. Season with additional salt & pepper to taste.
- Prep Ahead: Chop the veggies and measure the ingredients a couple of days ahead for quick morning prep.
- Season: While the recipe includes seasoning, feel free to customize it with your favorite herbs and spices for a personal touch. Try a pinch of rosemary, thyme, or even a dash of hot sauce.
- Chicken Temp: Use a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken reaches 165°F.
- Don’t Peek: Avoid lifting the lid of the Crockpot too frequently; each time you do, it releases heat and extends the cooking time.
- Cheese on Top: If you love cheese, add a sprinkle of shredded cheddar cheese just before serving.
- Keep leftover Crockpot chicken and rice casserole in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Reheat portions of this chicken recipe on the stovetop with a little milk to make it creamy again.
- Freeze portions for up to 4 weeks.
More Slow Cooker Chicken Favorites
If you’re looking for another great crock pot recipe, here are some of our favorites!rnrnrnrnrn
4.80 from 60 votes↑ Click stars to rate now!
Or to leave a comment, click here!
Crockpot Chicken and Rice
This Crockpot Chicken and Rice is easy, cheesy and a family favorite! It’s full of flavor and so quick to prepare, making it the perfect recipe for busy weeknights.
Prep Time 15 minutes minutes
Cook Time 2 hours hours 30 minutes minutes
Total Time 2 hours hours 45 minutes minutes
In a 4-quart crockpot, stir together the broth, carrots, onion, red peppers, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt, and pepper.
Add chicken breasts, cover, and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours.
When chicken is cooked, remove and place on a cutting board.
Stir in the peas and rice, cover, and cook on high for 15 minutes.
When chicken is cool enough to handle, slice thinly.
After 15 minutes, stir the chicken, milk, and cheese into the crockpot. Cover and cook on high for 15 more minutes, until cheese is melted and rice is tender.
Store leftovers in a covered container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Calories: 307 | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 870mg | Potassium: 396mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 3930IU | Vitamin C: 21.7mg | Calcium: 242mg | Iron: 2.9mg
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
Course Chicken, Dinner, Main Course, Slow Cooker Cuisine American
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.