This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
This family-friendly Chicken Stroganoff made with ground chicken and mushrooms in a creamy sauce is perfect over egg noodles, veggie noodles, or pasta.
My sister-in-law loves my Hamburger Stroganoff from the Skinnytaste Fast and Slow Cookbook, but her daughter doesn’t like beef, which inspired me to try it with ground chicken. I made a few tweaks to my original recipe and served it over egg noodles (also great over roasted spaghetti squash). It was a winner in my house for all ages, from my picky young nieces to my husband. For my other Stroganoff recipes, try my vegetarian Mushroom Stroganoff, and Turkey Meatball Stroganoff.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Healthy: My chicken version is much lighter than traditional stroganoff. It’s packed with protein and under 250 calories.
- Easy: This simple chicken stroganoff comes together quickly, and most of the cooking time is hands-off while the sauce simmers.
- Kid-Friendly: Pasta is usually a crowd-pleaser for children. If they don’t love mushrooms, it’s easy to pick around them and just serve them chicken and pasta.
Chicken Stroganoff Sauce Ingredients
- Cream: Water, sour cream, all-purpose or gluten-free flour, chicken bouillon, paprika
- Chicken: I used one pound of 93% ground chicken.
- Onion: Chop a half cup of white or yellow onion.
- Flavor: Salt, pepper, tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce all enhance the flavor of the Stroganoff.
- Mushrooms: Slice eight ounces of Cremini mushrooms (also called baby bellas).
- Herbs: Let the thyme sprigs simmer in the sauce, and garnish with fresh parsley.
- Noodles: Serve chicken Stroganoff over egg noodles, or swap them with high-fiber or gluten-free pasta. Also great over veggie noodles or roasted spaghetti squash.
How to Make Chicken Stroganoff
- Creamy Stroganoff Sauce: Blend water, sour cream, flour, bouillon, and paprika until smooth.
- Cook the Chicken: Heat a large, deep nonstick skillet on high heat and spray with oil. Add the chicken and salt and cook, breaking up the meat into small pieces.
- Remaining Ingredients: Reduce the heat to medium, add the onions and tomato paste to the pan, and cook until soft. Add the mushrooms, thyme, and Worcestershire.
- Simmer: Pour the sauce over the chicken and bring it to a boil. Cover and cook on low for 35 to 45 minutes until tender. When the sauce is ready, discard the thyme, garnish with parsley, and serve over noodles.
- Protein: Substitute chicken for ground turkey or beef.
- Mushrooms: Swap cremini for white button mushrooms. If you’re not a mushroom fan, omit them and add another veggie, like peas, zucchini, or bell pepper.
- Sour Cream Swap: Use plain Greek yogurt.
- Herbs: Sub rosemary for thyme. And instead of garnishing with parsley, use more thyme or chives.
- Noodles: If you don’t have egg noodles, other small pasta shapes, like rotini or fusilli, will work. Or, if you want to keep the carbs low, try it with zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash.
- Gluten-Free Stroganoff: Use gluten-free noodles and flour.
What to Serve with Chicken Stroganoff
How to Store Chicken Stroganoff
Chicken Stroganoff will keep for up to four days in the refrigerator.
More Chicken Pasta Recipes You’ll Love
Prep: 10 minutes mins
Cook: 50 minutes mins
Total: 1 hour hr
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 3 /4 cup sauce
In a blender combine the water, sour cream, flour, bouillon, and paprika, blend until smooth.
Heat a large deep nonstick skillet on high heat and spray with oil. Add the chicken and salt and cook, breaking up the meat into small pieces as it cooks, about 5 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium, add the onions and tomato paste to the pan and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 to 5 minutes.
Add the mushrooms, thyme and Worcestershire sauce.
Pour the sauce over the chicken and bring to a boil. Cover and cook on low 35 to 45 minutes, until tender.
When sauce is done, discard thyme, garnish with chopped parsley and serve over your favorite noodles or veggie noodles.
Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Serve this over 2 ounces of your favorite egg noodles, or enjoy it over your favorite veggie noodles.
Serving: 3 /4 cup sauce, Calories: 241 kcal, Carbohydrates: 11 g, Protein: 24 g, Fat: 12 g, Saturated Fat: 4 g, Cholesterol: 106 mg, Sodium: 553.5 mg, Fiber: 1.5 g, Sugar: 3 g