OH-SO-CRISP, crunchy, cheesy chicken tacos completely baked to absolute PERFECTION. A super easy weeknight meal!
Super crispy, crunchy, cheesy chicken tacos that do not require any kind of deep-frying? Yes, please! I know, it’s hard to believe that these are baked but they are completely 100% baked start to finish.
With an easy chicken filling and the most fragrant spices, cilantro and a little bit of cheese, these come together very quickly. And that little brush of oil prior to baking help these bad boys crisp up in the oven so so perfectly.
Ground pork or ground beef can easily be substituted for the chicken, and you can even make these miniature-size using smaller corn tortillas (I used 5-6 inch corn tortillas here). Serve with your favorite toppings as needed – guac, pico, and/or sour cream are all favorable choices here!
- 2 ½ tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound ground chicken
- ½ medium sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 ½ cups shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 8 flour or corn tortillas, warmed
- Sour cream
- Pico de gallo
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat with nonstick spray.
- Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add ground chicken, onion and garlic, and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the chicken as it cooks; drain excess fat.
Stir in green chiles, chili powder, paprika, oregano and cumin until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
Remove from heat. Stir in cilantro and lime juice; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in 1 cup cheese until well combined.
Working one at a time, spread chicken mixture on half of the tortilla; top with 1 tablespoon cheese, folding over to seal. Repeat with remaining tortillas to make 8 tacos.
Place tacos in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Brush tops with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil.
Place into oven and bake until toasted and crispy, about 12-15 minutes.
Serve immediately with desired toppings.