This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
These healthy shrimp tacos are easy and delicious! Served on a warm tortilla with a quick cabbage slaw and a simple shrimp taco sauce.
Madison loves shrimp tacos, and lately, I’ve been making this easy shrimp taco recipe for her on repeat. They’re a fast and simple dinner, perfect for Taco Tuesdays, Cinco De Mayo or any night of the week. More taco recipes you may love are these Cod Fish Tacos, Ground Beef Tacos, or Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos.
To save time, I like to buy my shrimp peeled and deveined which is usually available frozen. Simply thaw in the friedge overnight or in the sink in a colander with running cold water. I also buy pre-shredded cabbage when I need dinner on the table fast. With those simple shortcuts the total time to make this is about 20 minutes!
Shrimp Taco Ingredients
- Shrimp: You’ll need 16 ounces of peeled and deveined jumbo shrimp. You can buy fresh or frozen shrimp.
- Shrimp Taco Seasoning: Mince two garlic cloves and use your favorite seasoning salt, like Tajin or Old Bay. You can also make taco spices with garlic powder, onion powder, ground cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper and chili powder.
- Tortillas: I prefer corn tortillas with shrimp tacos, but flour would also work.
- Slaw: Shredded green or red cabbage, jalapeño, red onion, fresh lime juice, salt, cilantro
- Shrimp Taco Sauce Ingredients: Mayonnaise, Greek yogurt or sour cream, lime juice, sriracha or Louisiana-style hot pepper sauce
How to Make Shrimp Tacos
- Season the Shrimp: Toss the shrimp with olive oil and sprinkle with the garlic and seasoning salt.
- Creamy Shrimp Taco Sauce: Mix the mayo, sour cream, lime juice, and hot sauce in a small bowl. Add a few drops of water if needed to thin it out so it will drizzle.
- Cabbage Slaw: Combine the shredded cabbage, onion, jalapeño, lime juice, and cilantro in a large bowl. Cover it and refrigerate.
- Air Fry the Shrimp: Preheat your air fryer to 360°F and cook the shrimp for six minutes, shaking the basket halfway, until cooked in the center.
- How to Heat Corn Tortillas: If you have a gas stove, turn on one of the burners, and hold each tortilla over the open flame with tongs. Char until there are a few brown spots, and then flip over to do the other side. You can also heat the tortillas in a skillet on the stove for about 30 seconds.
What do you serve with shrimp tacos?
I like to serve them with lime wedges. Here are some side dish ideas for these juicy shrimp tacos:
Can you eat leftover shrimp tacos?
Shrimp tacos are best eaten fresh, but you can save the shrimp for leftovers too. Store the tortillas, shrimp, slaw, and sauce separately. The shrimp will keep in the fridge for up to three days and can be microwaved or eaten cold.
- Allergic to shrimp? Substitute white fish, like cod, flounder, or tilapia. Check out these Cod Fish Tacos.
- No air fryer? Sauté the shrimp in a pan for a few minutes, flipping halfway, until opaque and cooked through.
- Not a fan of slaw? Try these spicy shrimp tacos with mango salsa, pico de gallo, or salsa verde.
- Tortillas: Swap corn tortillas with flour tortillas, or for a lighter taco use lettuce wraps instead.
More Shrimp Recipes You’ll Love
Prep: 10 minutes mins
Cook: 10 minutes mins
Total: 20 minutes mins
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 2 tacos
For the Shrimp Taco Sauce
For the shrimp taco sauce
Mix mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice and hot sauce in a small bowl adding a few drops of water if needed to thin it out so you can drizzle; set aside or transfer to a squeeze bottle.
For the Slaw
To make the slaw combine the cabbage, onion, jalapeño, lime juice and cilantro in a large bowl ; cover and chill.
To Cook The Shrimp
Preheat the air fryer to 360F. Cook the shrimp 5 to 6 minutes shaking the basket halfway until cooked through in the center. To make it on the skillet, cook on medium-high, 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
Meanwhile char the tortillas on an open flame or skillet about 30 seconds and set aside.
To Serve: Place 1/4 cup slaw on each tortilla, top each with 3 shrimp, then drizzle with spicy mayo, and garnish with cilantro.
Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Serving: 2 tacos, Calories: 288 kcal, Carbohydrates: 28.5 g, Protein: 20 g, Fat: 10.5 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Cholesterol: 149 mg, Sodium: 975.5 mg, Fiber: 4.5 g, Sugar: 3.5 g