This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
The BEST Chicken enchilada recipe! These easy chicken enchiladas are made with shredded chicken, cheese and my homemade enchilada sauce.
When I go out for Mexican food, I always order the chicken enchiladas because it’s my favorite!! This enchilada recipe has been one of my most popular recipes since I first posted it, which I am not surprised! My easy homemade enchilada sauce really makes it outstanding, so don’t skip that step! These are so good, I can’t order them out now, because I am always disappointed. Serve enchiladas with Cilantro Lime Rice and Refried Beans.
- Garlic and onion, minced
- Chipotle chilis in adobo sauce, to taste
- Tomato sauce
- Chipotle chili powder, ground cumin, kosher salt, and fresh pepper, to taste
- Reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Cooked, shredded chicken breast (from a store-bought rotisserie chicken or slow-cooked shredded chicken). Chicken thighs also work
- Garlic and onion, minced
- Kosher salt, cumin, dried oregano, and chipotle chili powder, to taste
- Chicken broth and tomato sauce
- Whole wheat flour or gluten-free tortillas
- Shredded part-skim Mexican cheese blend, cheddar cheese or monterey jack cheese
- Chopped scallions or cilantro plus optional toppings such as sour cream, avocado, Greek yogurt, jalapenos, etc.
How To Make Chicken Enchiladas
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Make the enchilada sauce: In a pot, sauté minced garlic in oil. Add chipotle chiles, chili powder, cumin, chicken broth, tomato sauce, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 5-10 mins and set aside.
- Make the chicken filling: In a skillet, sauté minced onion and garlic. Add shredded chicken, cilantro, cumin, oregano, chili powder, tomato sauce, and chicken broth. Cook for 4-5 mins and set aside.
- Assemble: Spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with oil. Put 1/3 cup of chicken mixture onto each tortilla, roll them up, and place seam-side down in the dish.
- Bake: Pour enchilada sauce on top, sprinkle shredded cheese, and bake covered for 20-25 mins.
- Garnish with chopped scallions or cilantro and add optional toppings. Serve hot and enjoy!
What is an Enchilada?
An enchilada is a traditional Mexican dish that typically consists of a tortilla filled with anything from meat, cheese, beans, vegetables, and spices, and then rolled up and covered with a enchilada sauce. Enchiladas are served hot and can be topped with additional cheese, sour cream, avocado and other toppings.
What should I put in my enchiladas?
Enchiladas can be filled with anything you can think of! In this Chicken Enchilada recipe, I used shredded chicken breast, but here’s a few more ideas.
How to cook shredded chicken for enchiladas:
To make shredded chicken in the slow cooker use boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or thighs) and top with enough water or broth to cover. Cook on low 4 to 6 hours, then drain and shred. You can also use leftover chicken breast from a rotisserie chicken which is so much quicker if you don’t have time.
What to serve with enchiladas:
This chicken enchilada recipe has been one of my go-to recipes for years and are always a hit when we serve them to friends and family. If you’re debating on if you should make them, I vote yes, and let me know what you think!
More Enchilada Recipes
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 35 mins
Total: 45 mins
Yield: 8 servings
Serving Size: 1 large enchilada
Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
Spray a medium pot with oil and and add garlic, sauté 30 seconds. Add chipotle chiles, chili powder, cumin, chicken broth, tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes, to let the flavors meld. Set aside until ready to use.
Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onions and garlic on low until soft, about 2 minutes. Add chicken, salt, cilantro, cumin, oregano, chili powder, tomato sauce, chicken broth, and cook 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Spray a 13 by 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish with oil. Put 1/3 cup chicken mixture into each tortilla and roll it.
Place on baking dish seam side down, top with sauce. Then top with cheese.
Cover with foil and bake in the oven on the middle rack for 20-25 minutes, until it’s heated through and the cheese is melted. Garnish with scallions or cilantro. Optional: top with your favorite toppings if desired. (Extra points) Makes 8 enchiladas.
Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you. If using premade enchilada sauce it is approximately 2 1/4 cups. To make shredded chicken in the slow cooker, place breasts in slow cooker and cover with enough chicken broth to submerge. Cook low 4 hours or high 2 hours then shred with two forks.
Serving: 1 large enchilada, Calories: 168 kcal, Carbohydrates: 17 g, Protein: 17 g, Fat: 6.5 g, Saturated Fat: 2 g, Cholesterol: 29.5 mg, Sodium: 441 mg, Fiber: 8.5 g, Sugar: 3 g
Photo credit Sarah of Broma Bakery