This is such a great way to use leftover rice! And this sheet pan version is so easy with the crispiest edges. SO GOOD.
I am all for repurposing leftovers. And I am even more for it when you can make the best kind of fried rice on a sheet pan, yielding the crispiest, crunchiest edges.
The secret to this is using leftover dried out rice (brown or white). And you can also repurpose any leftover veggies here for a clean-out-the-fridge type meal. If you don’t like carrots or peas or mushrooms, you can leave it out and sub a veggie to your liking like zucchini, broccoli, bell pepper, asparagus or even cabbage.
Serve with fried eggs (over easy or sunny side up or even soft boiled eggs), garnished with green onions and toasted sesame seeds for a complete meal.
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 tablespoons oyster sauce, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups leftover white or brown rice
- 1 ½ cups thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup frozen green peas
- 4 fried eggs
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat with nonstick spray.
In a large bowl, combine shrimp, 1 tablespoon oyster sauce and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; set aside.
In a large bowl, combine rice, mushrooms, onion, carrots, canola oil, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic and remaining 5 tablespoons oyster sauce.
Place rice mixture in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet.
Place into oven and bake until the rice begins to brown, about 15-18 minutes, stirring and scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the baking sheet.
Stir in peas and shrimp mixture. Place into oven and bake just until shrimp are pink, firm and cooked through, an additional 6-8 minutes.
Serve immediately with eggs, garnished with green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.