With crumbled Italian sausage, sneaked in greens, marinara sauce and Parmesan. TRULY A ONE SKILLET DINNER! So so easy!
This lightening fast dinner comes together very very quickly in just 30 minutes from start to finish. And everything (and I mean everything) gets cooked in literally one skillet, no joke, even the uncooked fusilli pasta.
And feel free to use your favorite store-bought marinara sauce (I love Rao’s) or even spicy Italian sausage if you want a kick of heat. If you don’t have fusilli on hand, similarly shaped pasta like rotini and gemelli should work beautifully here.
It’s easy, fast, and so so convenient. And I don’t even mind the sneaked-in greens. I actually always throw in a little extra kale than what the recipe calls for to get my greens in for the day!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 8 ounces fusilli pasta
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cups torn kale
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup torn basil leaves
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add Italian sausage and onion, and cook until sausage has browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the sausage as it cooks; drain excess fat.
Stir in marinara sauce, chicken stock, pasta, bell pepper, kale, garlic, Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper flakes; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered and stirring once, until pasta is cooked through, about 10-12 minutes. Stir in Parmesan.
Serve immediately, garnished with basil, if desired.