Not only is this quick meal super easy, but Chicken ala King is delicious too!
Chunks of tender chicken are mixed with fresh vegetables and pimentos in a rich and creamy homemade sauce!
Serve this over puff pastry, biscuits, rice or potatoes.
Why We Love This Chicken ala King Recipe
- It’s quick to put together and packed with rich creamy flavor.
- Skip the condensed soup, this chicken a la king recipe is just about as fast made from scratch.
- Use rotisserie chicken or leftover ham or turkey.
- Served it in puff pastry shells or spooned biscuits, rice, egg noodles, toast, or even mashed potatoes!
Ingredients in Chicken ala King
This is a classic chicken a la king with a homemade cream sauce.
CHICKEN Shredded rotisserie chicken makes this recipe so simple, but feel free to use any cooked chicken you have on hand. If you don’t have cooked chicken, see the note below.
VEGGIES I used fresh mushrooms, onions, peas, and pimentos in this recipe but any veggie will taste wonderful! Colorful peppers, corn, carrots, or broccoli are great additions!
SAUCE Rich & creamy sauce made with chicken stock, seasonings, and cream is one of the best parts of this dish!
How to Quickly Cook Chicken for Shredding
You can quickly boil chicken while preparing the other ingredients for this recipe. Add 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts to a saucepan and cover with chicken broth. Cook on a low boil for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Shred it for use in recipes.
The bonus is that the chicken broth will be richly flavored and can be used in this recipe or other recipes.
How to Make Chicken ala King
This recipe is so easy to make, and comes together so quickly!
- Saute mushrooms and onions in butter (per the recipe below).
- Stir in seasonings and flour. Whisk in chicken stock and cream.
- Stir in the peas, pimentos, and chicken and cook until heated through.
Tips for Perfect Chicken ala King
- Be sure to cook chicken before adding to pasta if you’re not using rotisserie chicken.
- Chicken breast, chicken thighs or even tuna are all great substitutions!
- Freeze Chicken ala King without the rice, pasta, or bread since those items don’t freeze well with sauce added. Instead, ladle the Chicken ala King into zippered bags or an airtight container with the date on it and freeze flat.
- Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop. Refresh the flavors by adding a little dash of salt and pepper and make new rice, pasta, or fresh bread to serve again!
More Quick Chicken Recipes
Did you make this Chicken ala King? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
4.92 from 86 votes↑ Click stars to rate now!
Or to leave a comment, click here!
Chicken ala King
Chicken ala King is rich and creamy with veggies and chicken in a flavorful sauce.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
In a large 12-inch skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onions and cook until they start to soften, about 5 minutes.
Season with garlic powder, black pepper, and kosher salt.
Sprinkle in the flour and stir until a paste is formed. Cook for 2 minutes.
While stirring, slowly pour in the chicken stock and half and half. Stir to make sure no chunks of flour remain.
Turn the heat to low and stir until the sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the peas, chopped pimentos, and rotisserie chicken. Cook until heated through, about 3 minutes more.
Serve over pasta, rice, or biscuits.
To Cook Chicken Quickly: You can quickly boil chicken while preparing the other ingredients for this recipe. Add 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts to a saucepan and cover with chicken broth. Cook on a low boil for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Shred it for use in recipes and the broth will be extra flavorful to use in this recipe (or reserve for another use). Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in microwave or on stovetop and serve over rice or pasta. To freeze, ladle Chicken ala King into zippered bags or an airtight container with the date on it and freeze flat. Thaw out and reheat using steps above.
Calories: 438 | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Cholesterol: 87mg | Sodium: 699mg | Potassium: 554mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1838IU | Vitamin C: 38mg | Calcium: 87mg | Iron: 2mg
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
Course Chicken, Dinner, Entree, Main Course Cuisine American
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.