The best no-fuss SHEET PAN DINNER! Crisp, juicy chicken thighs baked alongside my favorite stuffing recipe.
A holiday sheet pan dinner? Yes, please.
I’m all for holiday goodness shortcut meals where I can have my cake and eat it too. In this case, chicken and stuffing all baked on one sheet pan goodness when I need my holiday fix.
This is also one of my favorite stuffing recipes, using a combination of sourdough and multigrain bread cubes. But if multigrain (or sourdough) is not to your liking, you can absolutely use your favorite kind of bread loaf here.
If you also want some extra meat to your stuffing, you can throw in some crumbled Italian sausage, or keep it meatless since you have some crispy, juicy chicken thighs coming your way.
- 4 cups sourdough bread cubes
- 4 cups multigrain bread cubes
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage leaves
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cups chicken stock
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat with nonstick spray.
Spread bread cubes in a single layer. Place into oven and bake until crisp and golden, about 10-13 minutes; set aside.
In a small bowl, combine poultry seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Season chicken with poultry seasoning mixture.
- Heat canola oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, add chicken, skin-side down, and sear both sides until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side; set aside.
Melt butter in the skillet. Add garlic, onion, carrots and celery, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in parsley, sage and thyme until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Remove from heat. Stir in bread; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in chicken stock until absorbed and well combined. Let stand 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed.
Place chicken in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Place bread mixture in a single layer around the chicken on the prepared baking sheet.
Place into oven and bake until the chicken is cooked through, about 20-25 minutes.
- Serve immediately with cranberry orange sauce, if desired.