Make the best, most perfect (lump-free) mashed potatoes EVERY SINGLE TIME! So buttery, creamy + fluffy!
Mashed potatoes are such an essential staple during the holidays. And it’s very important that we make them perfectly (without too much effort).
That’s where I have you covered.
The secret here is using a potato ricer. It helps create lump-free, super smooth and fluffy potatoes every single time without releasing too much starch.
From there, all you need is some good-quality butter, sour cream and half and half (all at room temp). And don’t forget to season liberally with salt and pepper!
- 4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cubed and at room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 cup half and half, at room temperature
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Place potatoes and garlic in a Dutch oven and cover with cold salted water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, until just tender, about 15 minutes; drain well and return to the Dutch oven over low heat.
Stir with a wooden spoon until potatoes are dried out, about 1 minute.
- Transfer potatoes to a large bowl. Using a potato ricer, rice potatoes and garlic. Stir in butter, sour cream and half and half, being careful not to overstir; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Serve immediately, garnished with chives, if desired, or keep warm in the Dutch oven, covered, for 30 minutes.