Garbanzo beans never tasted so good!
Yield: serves 4
- 1 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. shallots, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice + lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp. oil, safflower or sunflower recommended
- 1 Tbsp. + 1/2 tsp. fresh oregano, divided
- 1 tsp. raw honey
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1, 15-oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs*
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 small fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced
*use almond flour for gluten-free option
In a sealed jar, shake together shallot, lemon juice, 2 tsp. water, 2 tsp. oil, 2 tsp. oregano, honey, and 1/8 tsp. salt. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, mash chickpeas, egg, bread crumbs, remaining oregano and lemon zest. If you are adding greens into the fritters, use a food processor to blend all ingredients together.
Stir in cheese. Mix well and shape into a large ball. Divide ball into four patties, flattening each into 1/2″ thickness.
In a medium nonstick skilled, heat remaining 1/2 tsp. oil on medium, add patties and cook until both sides are lightly golden and cooked through. About 4 minutes per side.
In a medium bowl, toss together arugula and fennel, then pour dressing over top and toss.
Divide salad and fritters among plates and enjoy!
photos by Kacy Meinecke for DietsInReview.com