This vegetarian recipe was just something that I came up with when I had a lot of fresh veggies and a really good bottle of Vodka Tomato sauce. I like to cook half of the onions but reserve some uncooked at the end to give the pasta an extra dimension. You can add any additional ingredients (cooked meat, fresh or cooked veggies, olives, etc.) to this basic recipe. —RettaMae
Whole Foods Penne Rigate Pasta
Cloves of garlic, minced
Chopped sweet onion (hold 1/4 cup in reserve)
Chopped red bell pepper
1/4 – 1/2 teaspoons
Ground cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
Salt and Pepper
Vodka Pasta Sauce (Bertolli)
Diced fresh basil leaves
Grated parmesan or asiago cheese
- Cook 8 ounces of pasta according to directions on the box.
- Melt olive oil and butter in a medium sized skillet.
- Saute minced garlic, sweet onion, red bell pepper and celery in skillet until translucent – then add cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to taste.
- Once pasta is drained – add to skillet: vegetables, Vodka sauce, salt, pepper, tomatoes, uncooked onions, and capers – mix well over a low heat until warm.
- Finish with fresh basil and cheese. Enjoy!