This is NOT on your diet. However, this soup would be great as a small first course. —nannydeb
garlic bulbs, this will be to your taste as to how much you want to add to the soup
onion, sliced thin
Gruyere cheeese, grated
fresh thyme, minced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Chop the tops off of two garlic bulbs and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap them in foil and roast for 35-40 minutes or until the garlic is soft enough to squeeze out of the bulbs. Set aside.
- In a soup pot, saute the onion in butter until very soft.
- Add flour and cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Squeeze the garlic into the pot with the onions.
- Whisk in the chicken stock, then milk, then cream.
- Simmer until thickened, about 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add the grated cheese. Stir until melted.
- Add salt, white pepper, sherry and thyme.
- Serve with some good crusty bread.
Former restaurant manager (and waitress, bartender, etc). I love food: eating, trying new recipes, shopping for it, talking/emailing about it, etc. My foodie friend and pen pal got me interested in recipe contests and also turned me on to food52 and now I’m obsessed!