A vegetarian version of the classic bolognese with a lot of flavor. —kitchenonthe9th
chilli paste or chilli powder, optional
- Place the lentils in a pot with hot salted water until they are covered by around 1cm and bring to a boil. Let simmer until the lentils are cooked through, around 30 mins.
- In a bit pot on medium heat, add the olive oil and the onion. After around 3 minutes, start adding the rest of the ingredients gradually starting with the carrots, peppers, peas and garlic.
- Once the vegetables are softened, add the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste. Add the cooked lentils to the pot. If the sauce is too thick, add a bit of water until it’s runny (you can use any leftover water from the lentils).
- Bring to a boil and then simmer until the sauce is thickened, around 15 minutes. Add the 7-spice, chilli and salt and taste to adjust the seasoning.
- Serve with spaguetti or other pasta that you like.