A sweet and spicy soup featuring sweet potatoes, apples, and chipotle peppers that’ll keep you warm this winter!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 gala apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock (i used broth)
- 2 cups water (reduce or eliminate for a thicker soup)
- 1 chipotle pepper (from a can of chipotles in adobo), chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook until soft, stirring occasionally. Add the apples, celery, and sweet potatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the water, broth, and cinnamon stick. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until vegetables are soft. Remove the cinnamon stick and discard. Stir in the chopped chipotle.
- Puree in a blender or with an immersion blender. Reheat until warm.