Shakshuka is an upgraded version of a sunny side up. you are going to love the combination of an egg for brunch with a fresh tomato sauce to dip your bread in.
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ chopped onion
- 2 sliced garlic cloves
- 1 can diced tomatoes (you can use 5-6 fresh tomatoes)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp basil or oregano
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 5 eggs
- Optional – ½ tsp chili flakes
- Over medium heat, preheat 3 tbsp oil and add the chopped onion. Saute until softens.
- Add the garlic and fry for 10 seconds and then add the tomatoes, cumin, oregano and garlic powder. Stir until combined and let boil. Once boils, turn heat to low.
- For thickness, add the tomato paste and mix until combined, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once you’ve reached the desired flavor add the eggs. Add one by one, forming a circle.
- Cover the skillet and let cook on low heat for 20 minutes. Lift cover to check if ready. The shakshuka is ready when the eggs are white. If you see that the sauce is too liquid, leave the cover open and let cook for additional 5 minutes (liquids will evaporate)