Small, firm pears are rendered into submission by poaching them in a sweet broth of water, sugar and lemon slices, then served up cold with a mix of thick raspberry and vanilla sauces.
small ripe, firm pears with stems
fresh or unsweetened frozen raspberries
vanilla ice cream
Garnish: 6 mint sprigs
- Have ready a pot large enough to hold pears upright.
- Poach Pears: Half-fill a large bowl with cold water. Stir in lemon juice. Peel pears, leaving stems on. Add to bowl to prevent browning.
- Bring 3 cups water, the sugar and lemon slices to boil in pot. Add pears, reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes until tender when pierced at bottom.
- Cool in pot (discard lemon); refrigerate in syrup until cold.
- Make Raspberry Sauce: Stir berries through a strainer to make a seedless purée. Stir in sugar.
- To serve: Pierce a hole in top of pears; insert mint. Spoon Raspberry Sauce on one side of each of 6 dessert plates, Vanilla Sauce on other side. With a pick, draw a spiral through both sauces. Set pear in center.
This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io