This savory casserole has a southern twist with the addition of hushpuppy mix. Who knew squash could taste so good? Watch Donna Reynolds make squash casserole in this video clip from Carolina Outdoor Journal.
- 2 1/4 – 2 1/2 pounds squash, cut in half lengthwise, then into half-moons
- 1 pound sweet onions, diced
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 3 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 8 ounces Onion Hushpuppy Mix or Plain Hushpuppy Mix
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
- In a large skillet, combine squash and onions. Add poultry seasoning and 2 tsp salt; cook on medium high heat, stirring occasionally until tender.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and add hushpuppy mix, beaten eggs, sour cream, pepper and remaining salt. Mix thoroughly; pour into prepared dish. Spread cheese evenly over top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until golden brown on top.