- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 leeks , sliced
- 200g mushroom , sliced
- 2 large carrots , peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 tbsp seasoning , we used Schwartz Moroccan
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 300g can bean , try kidney or pinto, drained and rinsed
- 100g cheddar , coarsely grated
- 200g (about 4 slices) granary bread torn into pieces
- burger buns , lettuce, tomato and other favourites, to serve
- STEP 1
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a shallow saucepan over a medium flame. Tip in vegetables, seasoning and soy sauce, then cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 mins until soft. Tip veg into a food processor with the beans, cheese and bread, season, then pulse to a thick paste.
- STEP 2
With wet hands, mould mix into 8 burgers. These can be kept in the fridge for 2 days or frozen, stacked between greaseproof sheets for up to 2 months.
- STEP 3
To cook, heat oil in a frying pan and fry 2-3 mins on each side until crispy. Serve with toasted buns, salad, ketchup and mayo.
MORE QUICK IDEAS
Finely chop vegetables and use as the base for a pasta sauce.
Incorporate root veg into mashed potatoes and use to top pies.
Recipe from Good Food magazine, April 2006