It wasn’t until college that I had my first taste of biscuits & gravy, and I can thank my roommate Lauren for introducing this wonderful combination into my life. Subsequently, I’ve had many biscuits for which I’ve learned that fat and flour is key to a good biscuit. Using low-gluten flour like White Lily and cream from coconut & almond milk, these vegan biscuits are tall, tender and fluffy. Adapted from the White Lily recipe. —jonajim
about 12 biscuits
white lily flour
- Preheat oven to 475F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine coconut cream and almond milk in a measuring cup. Cut chilled butter into 1/4” cubes. Set aside both in the refrigerator to chill. Whisk or sift dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- Using a pastry cutter, quickly cut chilled butter into dry mix until pea-sized clumps of butter remain. Gradually & gently blend in chilled cream with a fork, just until dough clears the sides of the bowl. You may have leftover cream. The dough will be shaggy.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly-floured counter and gently fold the dough until it comes together, only about 4-6 times. Shape into a 7” x 3/4” disk. Cut out biscuits using a floured 2” round cutter, and place on baking sheet. Re-roll scraps and repeat.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until tall & golden-brown.