- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup plain, unsweetened soy or nondairy milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus more for coating the pan
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegan semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts (optional)
Try Amazon Fresh
- Saturated fat1.53g
- Trans fat0.03g
Get fresh food news delivered to your inbox
Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest tips, tricks, recipes and more, sent twice a week.
Being vegan doesn’t mean a life without brownies. Satisfy your sweet tooth with these cakey, chocolaty dairy-free brownies. Applesauce is used in place of eggs, vegetable oil in place of butter, and soy milk in place of its lactose-rich cousin. Nuts are optional.
This recipe was featured as part of our Vegan Comfort Food.
Adapted from “Party Vegan: Fabulous, Fun Food for Every Occasion” by Robin Robertson
Tips for Christmas
Why Do We Celebrate Christmas on Dec. 25?
There are several reasons Christmas is celebrated on Dec. 25. The date is nine months after March 25, a day recognized by Christians as Annunciation. It was the day Mary was told she would was having a baby. The nine months that follow are an approximation of Jesus’ birth. Dec. 25 also coincides with pagan Winter Solstice celebrations like Saturnalia’ and Dies Natalis Solis Invicti. Since they were historically celebrated around that time of year there was precedent for holiday festivities during this time of year.
1 of 3
Next: What Does the Name ‘Christmas’ Mean and What Is the Meaning of Christmas?
What Does the Name ‘Christmas’ Mean and What Is the Meaning of Christmas?
Christmas is a shortened from the words “Christ’s mass.” It’s derived from the Middle English word “Cristemasse” which has Greek, Hebrew and Latin origins. Christmas is an annual holiday that honors the birth of Jesus Christ. It is celebrated by Christians around the world and is regarded as an important religious and cultural holiday.
2 of 3
Next: How Can We Celebrate Christmas?
How Can We Celebrate Christmas?
Christmas is traditionally celebrated in many ways and celebrations vary across cultures. In the days leading up to Christmas, people usually put up special decorations including colorful lights and evergreen trees. Gifts are often placed under the tree and exchanged on Christmas day among loved ones. Large meals are also typically served as part of the celebration as well.
3 of 3
Next: Why Do We Celebrate Christmas on Dec. 25?
- 1Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Coat an 8-by-8-inch square baking dish with vegetable oil; set aside.
- 2Place the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to aerate and combine.
- 3Place the applesauce, maple syrup, soy or nondairy milk, measured oil, and vanilla in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add the flour mixture and fold with a rubber spatula until just combined (do not overmix). Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts (if using). Scrape the batter into the prepared baking dish and smooth out the top.
- 4Bake in the oven until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Place the pan on a wire rack to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving. If not serving right away, cool completely, cover tightly, and store at room temperature. These brownies taste best if eaten within a day or two.