- Test Kitchen-Approved
This dish originated from Thailand and is loved by all over the world. I learnt how to cook this delicious recipe in a Thai Cooking Workshop. The original version does not contain cashews however adding these only enhances the taste! – MummysLittleHelper —MummysLittleHelper
Test Kitchen Notes
Tasty and simple. You get lots of Thai basil and it’s flavor. It didn’t say when to add the onions so I threw them in with the garlic. It’s a very yummy salty sauce with lots of crunchy nuts. – Stephanie —The Editors
minced chicken breast
roasted unsalted cashew nuts
Thai basil (if unavailable, use normal basil)
oil (peanut is best)
light soya sauce
dark soya sauce
- Mix the sauces in a cup with the sugar – stir to dissolve.
- Heat a wok or frying pan on medium to high flame for 20 seconds. Add 3 tablespoons oil and swirl the wok/frying pan so that the oil is evenly distributed.
- Add minced garlic and fry for 10 seconds. Quickly add minced chicken and continue frying until chicken turns white.
- Pour the sauces into the chicken and mix well. Add the basil and fry for another 30 seconds. If the chicken looks dry, add a splash of water. Throw in the cashew nuts and turn the flame off. Stir the cashew nuts into the chicken.
- This dish goes well with rice. As an alternative, pop some pita bread into the bread toaster for a couple of minutes. Make a small pocket in the pita and fill with the Chicken and Cashew with Thai Basil. Bon Appetit!