There’s nothing like the smell of warm, homemade bread wafting through the house to get everyone in the holiday spirit.
package active dry yeast
dry buttermilk powder
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F), 1/3 cup honey, and yeast. Stir
to dissolve yeast. Set aside until mixture becomes frothy on top, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine 4 cups flour, buttermilk powder, and salt. Stir in yeast mixture. In a small bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, and 2 tablespoons melted butter. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture and combine until dough comes together. (Add 1/2 cup flour if dough is too sticky.)
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth, 5 to 8 minutes. Place dough in a buttered bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rise, at room temperature, until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Divide dough into 16 equal pieces and shape into balls. Butter two 9-inch pie plates and place 1 ball of dough in the center of each. Evenly space remaining dough balls around pie plates. Cover and let rise, at room temperature, for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon honey with 1 tablespoon melted butter. Lightly brush honey-butter mixture over top of rolls. Bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in pans for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Serve with additional honey and pats of butter on the side, if desired.